Sky Q customers will gain access to 4K UHD content from August 13, the UK satellite provider has announced.
On August 13, any Sky Q customer signed up to the Sky Q silver plan will be able to enjoy 124 live Premier League games in 4K UHD, as well as a selection of films which includes the UK premiere of James Bond’s Spectre.
4K UHD broadcasts will mostly be associated with movies and sporting events, but Sky promises even more content than that. In fact, the company says that there will be a huge selection of natural history shows and documentaries joining the over 70 movies in the high-resolution format. Channel 4 will also make its popular TV drama The Blacklist available for viewing in 4K UHD.
“With Sky Q, we created the world’s best TV experience,” says Luke Bradley-Jones, director of TV and content products. “Now with the introduction of an unrivalled line-up of Ultra HD TV, the service is going to get even better. So whether you’re a football fan, movie buff, natural history enthusiast or drama junkie, customers looking for the next-generation of TV viewing will love it.”
Content in 4K UHD will be available in various ways – including live broadcasts, on demand and through the Sky Store. The current raft of content planned includes:
• 124 live Premier League games including the first game of the new season Hull City v Leicester City
• Every race from Formula 1 2017
• Over 70 movies with premieres including Spectre, The Revenant, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials and Concussion
• Over 30 Sky Store rental movies from Angry Birds to the entire Ghostbusters and Men In Black box sets
• The biggest ever library of movies from Minority Report to Forrest Gump, The Godfather, Jerry Maguire, Zoolander, The Da Vinci Code and Spider-Man trilogy
• Ultra HD movie themed collections including Blockbusters, Action, Drama and Oscar winners
• 30 hours of natural history and documentaries, from Sky’s David Attenborough catalogue to Sky 1’s Big Cats: An Amazing Animal Family and brand new Monkeys: An Amazing Animal Family, as well as Richard Hammond’s Jungle Quest, plus National Geographic programmes including new Story of God with Morgan Freeman
• Five new dramas including The Young Pope, featuring Jude Law, and directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Paolo Sorrentino, a joint production of Sky, HBO and Canal+, as well as new Series 4 of The Blacklist, and the box set Series 1-3.
• Plus other entertainment, including comedy series The Trip To Spain starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, Sky Arts’ Landscape Artist of the Year 2016 and Blur in concert.